In 1969, the night of the Stonewall riot, was a very hot, muggy night. We were in the Stonewall [bar] and the lights came on. We all stopped dancing. The police came in.
They had gotten their payoff earlier in the week. But Inspector Pine came in-him and his morals squad-to spend more of the government’s money.
We were led out of the bar and they cattled us all up against the police vans. The cops pushed us up against the grates and the fences. People started throwing pennies, nickels, and quarters at the cops.
And then the bottles started. And then we finally had the morals squad barricaded in the Stonewall building, because they were actually afraid of us at that time. They didn’t know we were going to react that way.
We were not taking any more of this shit. We had done so much for other movements. It was time.
It was street gay people from the Village out front-homeless people who lived in the park in Sheridan Square outside the bar-and then drag queens behind them and everybody behind us. The Stonewall Inn telephone lines were cut and they were left in the dark.
One Village Voice reporter was in the bar at that time. And according to the archives of the Village Voice, he was handed a gun from Inspector Pine and told, “We got to fight our way out of there.”
This was after one Molotov cocktail was thrown and we were ramming the door of the Stonewall bar with an uprooted parking meter. So they were ready to come out shooting that night.
Finally the Tactical Police Force showed up after 45 minutes. A lot of people forget that for 45 minutes we had them trapped in there.
All of us were working for so many movements at that time. Everyone was involved with the women’s movement, the peace movement, the civil-rights movement. We were all radicals. I believe that’s what brought it around.
You get tired of being just pushed around.
- splendidnights likes this
- queermerfolk reblogged this from louisincake
- kullivet likes this
- louisincake reblogged this from segerros
- segerros reblogged this from thequeeravengers
- segerros likes this
- nowchicago likes this
- paperclipshit reblogged this from this-ebony-chick
- this-ebony-chick reblogged this from thequeeravengers
- dismisswhateverinsultsyoursoul likes this
- talesofthestarshipregeneration reblogged this from thequeeravengers
- dogmmunist likes this
- femme-unculus likes this
- queermerooooar reblogged this from thequeeravengers
- queermerooooar likes this
- thestoutorialist reblogged this from thequeeravengers
- spikeghost reblogged this from edoro
- conmodos reblogged this from madgastronomer
- 53degreefeline likes this
- meganegginclegg likes this
- madgastronomer reblogged this from thequeeravengers
- tal9000 reblogged this from lilyayurievna
- lilyayurievna reblogged this from thequeeravengers
- sexuallytransmittedsadness likes this
- asyoulikeitpdx reblogged this from thequeeravengers and added:
- gayweedfan420 reblogged this from thequeeravengers
- paul-from-staten-island reblogged this from thequeeravengers
- thequeeravengers posted this